What is an Innovation Project?

As a teacher, I am always looking for the next best thing to inspire my students to become more active participants in their learning. After researching Kevin Brookhouser's 20% project, I was inspired to recreate a version of this project for my own students. Thus, the Innovation Project was born.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Wow! The Blue Room is So Cool.

Today we embarked on creating our "Elevator Pitches" to propose topics for the innovation projects. To get a change of perspective we took a "min field trip" to Magnolia campus and used Mrs. Waid's "Blue Room" otherwise known as a collaboration room. The students were immediately engaged when they learned they would be sitting on bean bag chairs, exercise balls, and futons. The kids quickly found a spot for their group to work and after a brief revisit to the assignment guidelines, they were on their way to creating their 60 second elevator pitches.

It was exhilarating to see the students start to use all of the materials they had at their fingertips from their laptops (Google Drive and research), to white boards, to their phones, to just plain good, open, productive conversation. I continued to ask myself during classes today why I don't do this everyday. I'm ready to swap out the desks in my room for futons and beanbags :) I know that's not practical for every day class, but today's class was a lot more indicative of what the "real world" is going to be for these kids, and I want to start bringing that into my classroom.

The students have to present their elevator pitches during Friday's class in 60 seconds or less. I'm excited to see what they have in store.
















No comments:

Post a Comment